Thursday 23 April 2009

Rant Time
















So. It's not often things bother me, but today like on many other occasions the GMPTE people have been in Ashton bus station with the little speed camera. Now, you might think that this is a good thing and that a safe speed in a bus station is necessary. Yes it is. However. 5Mph is a silly slow speed which is so hard to stick to. (feel free to try it, Walk backwards on your hands its about that speed). Here they are in this pic trying to catch the drivers who have probably been spat at, sworn at, assaulted, cut up by other motorists, had bricks thrown at the bus, been hit by waterbombs, not all in the same day by the way that would be cause to change career, hoping to catch someone speeding so they can tell there boss who will in turn tell them off.
I found this practice was increased following the deaths of 2 pensioners in a short space of time at Oldham bus station, Which i think was down to the terrible design of the walkways there, hense the improvements they made if you can call them that.
But.... trying to drive at 5mph i find i am too busy watching the speedo rather than the crossings and other buses in the station?
Rant over. I'll find something else to moan about by weekend.

6 comments:

  1. As I haven't caught buses for years and years you forget how society has changed (and not for the better) and what a bus driver nowdays has to contend with. It has certainly made me aware of the perils your job has and I have to admire bus drivers of today. Hope you feel better after your much deserved rant!

    Changing subject there is a building I finally recognize, and it would have to be a pub, the good old Prince of Orange. I have often wondered if it was still there. They used to have a little restaurant - I wonder if they still do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think it still is, still seems a busy place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Restaurant, no. Still physically there, but not used any more. Now if you want karaoke from the 50’s at 95 decibels (not joking) this is the place! I occasionally meet my girlfriend off the 409 in the Prince of Orange. It’s strictly one pint them off. The noise level is simply intolerable.
    Does this count as another rant?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Due to visit Ashton in 3 weeks and I doubt whether there will be any pubs I recognise!

    That's the beauty of blogs Calvers rant all you want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We should have a regular rant day on Thursdays. Would be like anger management.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wondering why the buses at Hyde BS were driving so gingerly!

    ReplyDelete